Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Birthday Excitement

A tiny, miniscule sneak peek of the decorations...

I asked Nate last night, "What am I going to do with myself once Lucy's birthday party has passed!?". Although I don't believe a luau or renting a ridiculous hotel lounge is necessary for a child's birthday party (let alone a first birthday!), I must admit that I have grown quite fond of making her decorations and actually find it quite addicting. The best part is that it's all so simple. No crazy costs or unnecessary expenditures. It started with wanting to do something different with her pictures to sort of scatter about the place. So I decided that since I have this awesome designer paper that I love so much, why not use it as a border for the photos? It then blossomed into making her banner instead of buying one. I even went to AC Moore and traced their large wooden letters for the banner (it would have cost $2/letter to buy them...no thanks! I'll just ask the girl at the counter for her pencil so I can go trace them onto the pad of paper I'm about to buy!) rather than buy them. To me it's sort of like the people that go into Borders and read novels in the store, then leave when they've finished.

Anyways, I understand that "Lucy won't remember this" and I certainly wouldn't want to have an extravagant, over-the-top celebration for her. But I do want it to be special, surrounded by people that love her and who were all so kind and helpful to me while Nate was deployed. I'm so thankful to have such wonderful friends and family. So here's to Lucy, and the best year of my life.

1 comments:

Christine

This is just the beginning, Becky. Enjoy every bit of it and make it as big a deal as you darn well please! You ~ and Lucy and Nate ~ deserve it!

Post a Comment